Monday, July 23, 2012

Grand Encampment Cowboy Gathering



I rarely do book signings any more but because I've written some western-based books, including one titled Wyoming's Cowboy Poets and Their Poetry, I decided to attend a three-day festival in Encampment, Wyoming, near the Colorado border. Yep, that's me behind the oversized sunglasses and hat. Although my husband and I only stayed one day, it was an enjoyable experience meeting the nice people of the small community as well as cowboy poets, musicians and artists from the area as well as out of state. I wish we could have stayed longer.

I sold some books and talked to people who love not only cowboy poetry but ranching and anything western. I've been a member of Western Writers of America since 1979, so I sat under the WWA tent, which came in handy because rain and a thunder storm burst upon the scene in early afternoon. Fortunately, the audience was also seated under a tent, so few people left during the afternoon performances of cowboy poets, singers, guitar pickers, banjo players and fiddlers, which included Jon Chandler, John Nesbitt, Rhonda Sedgewick Steanrs, Chuck Larsen and Andy Nelson to name a few.

Other activities were a chuck wagon breakfast, stick horse rodeo for the kids, historic building tours, campfire jam session and cowboy song workshop.

Yee haw! A good time was had by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment