Sunday, May 29, 2011

Caol Shenold's Mystery We Write Book Tour

A nurse for forty years and a writer/artist for nearly as long, Carol Shenold has published three mysteries and an urban fantasy novel as well three nursing textbooks and numerous articles. Her website states: "The monsters under the bed might be real."

Carol, how has book publishing changed your life?

Having books published has allowed me to realize a lifetime dream of sharing my love of reading and creating with other and bring them some pleasure in escape.

Have you used your 40-year-career in nursing as background in your mystery plots?

So far, I haven’t used my medical background in my books. Writing is an escape for me so if I were writing medical mysteries, it would be too close to what I do every day, as much as I love what I do. Plus, I like the paranormal mystery so much more than medical.

Which of your professions as writer, artist or nurse bring you the most pleasure?

I don’t think I can pick just one. Art I do for fun and relaxation. Writing, I need to do plus it’s just so much fun. Art and writing are sides of the same coin involving the creative process, which has been part of me ever since I was a youngster designing dresses for my paper dolls. Nursing was a goal for me from grade school and has been the perfect career for me.

What’s the biggest disappointment you’ve had in your writing career?

Writing hasn’t been a disappointment other than failing to reach the NY Times Best Sellers list or receive any six-figure advances.

What’s the best thing that’s happened?

Meeting other writers over the years and making long-term friendships with fellow word lovers has been one of the best things about writing, that plus the pleasure you receive when someone enjoys your work.

Have ebooks sales surpassed your print editions?

Ebooks seem to sell better than print since my books are sold through Amazon and Kindle but are not in brick and mortar stores.

Advice to fledgling writers?

Learn your craft and be persistent. Never stop writing and submitting. Never stop trying to improve. Write what you love, not what you think the market wants. Readers know when you’re really invested in what you write.

Thanks, Carol.

You can visit Carol at her website: http://www.carolshenold.com/
and her blog site at http://carol-carolsinkspot.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. Carol, it's great to have you join us here on your Mystery We Write book tour.

    ReplyDelete